In today’s Holiday Sale blog, Deborah Niemann, author of Ecothrifty: Cheaper, Greener Choices for a Happier, Healthier Life., offers up delicious Homemade Crackers recipe and a sweet treat of Caramel Corn.
We’re happy to offer a 50% discount on all our books, using coupon code READ50 (except New Catalyst titles or titles not yet off press), from November 28 until December 5, 2022, to help you create a thrifty, low-carbon holiday to remember.
From the Book
- 1 cup liquid*
- 2 tablespoons oil or softened butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- large grain kosher salt
* You can use water, milk, juice, whey, or water in which potatoes were boiled. Milk makes the dough a little heavier and adds protein to the bread. Juice can be added for flavor. Orange juice makes great breakfast bread. Tomato juice makes a tasty bread to serve with salad. Whey is a natural dough conditioner and is great for helping whole grain breads to rise. The starch in potato water also helps to create a lighter loaf of bread.
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 8 cups popped corn
- Melt the butter over low heat and stir to avoid burning it.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the popcorn, and stir to blend everything together.
- Pour the mix over the popcorn and toss to coat it well.
- Spread the coated popcorn onto a buttered cookie sheet and bake at 300°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Author Deborah Niemann
Deborah Niemann and her family moved to the country in 2002, and soon 2 goats turned into 20, and a desire to make a simple chevre launched a new career helping people raise goats. Deborah is the author of Homegrown and Handmade, Ecothrifty, and Raising Goats Naturally. She blogs at thriftyhomesteader.com from her farm in Illinois.