We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
‣ As local organic agriculture continues to flourish, a cohort of young professional growers are leading the way with innovative ideas about farming. The Market Gardener provides hands-on information about growing for CSA and farmers markets. Based on low-tech, high-yield methods of production, this is a modern, micro-scale farming handbook.
‣ Passive solar greenhouse design including material selection, building methods and how to store thermal energy. Case studies provide real-life inspiration, with guidance for building a durable, energy-efficient greenhouse. Variations include underground and aquaponic greenhouses and integrating solar panels to grow off-grid, year-round.
‣ The Organic No-Till Farming Revolution is the no-till chemical-free growing roadmap, showing how no-till lowers barriers to starting a small farm, reduces greenhouse gas emissions, increases efficiency and profitability, and promotes soil health. This hands-on manual is specifically written for natural and small-scale farmers.
‣ Farming is taking root in our cities. With only a small capital investment, and without the need to own land, you can become part of this growing movement. The Urban Farmer will help you learn the crops, techniques and business strategies you need to make a good living growing food intensively right in your own backyard.
‣ Starting and running a farm makes one into both a farmer and an entrepreneur, and to be ecologically and financially sustainable, farmers must understand basic accounting and bookkeeping in order to manage their growing business. The Farmer's Office gives farmers the tools they need for a successful farm business.
‣ The Aquaponic Farmer is a complete practical guide to understanding, constructing, and operating a family-farm scale commercial cold-water aquaponic system for raising trout and vegetables. It details a commercial Deep Water Culture system, with step-by-step design, construction, and management principles, based on actual production numbers.
‣ Sustainable Market Farming is a comprehensive manual for farmers raising organic crops sustainably on a few acres. Targeted at serious growers, this practical book provides profiles of a full range of crops, information about new, efficient techniques and farm-specific business skills to help ensure a successful, profitable enterprise.
‣ Goats Giving Birth presents stories, lessons, and reflections from over 600 goat births with insights into the differences between normal births, necessary C-sections, and incidents that may turn deadly serious, giving you the confidence to handle all goat birthing situations.
‣ Farm the City is an introduction to the principles, methods, and realities of starting an urban farm derived from the success of Sole Food Street Farms, one of the largest urban agricultural enterprises in North America. Covers navigating regulations and finding land, to crop planning, fundraising, marketing, and more.