We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
Available in Print and Digital (eBook) formats.
Choose the format you need.
Twelve Principles for a Healthy Future
Strong local communities are the foundation of a healthy, participatory, and resilient society. Rather than looking to national governments, corporations, or new technologies to solve environmental and social problems, we can learn and apply the successes of thriving communities to protect the environment, enhance local livelihood, and grow social vitality.
Building Community is an easy-to-use guidebook that distills the success of healthy thriving communities from around the world into twelve universally applicable principles that transcend cultures and locations.
Exploring how community building can be approached by local citizens and their local leaders, Building Community features:
- A chapter on each of the 12 Guiding Principles, based on research in 27 countries
- Over 30 knowledgeable contributing author-practitioners
- Critical practical leadership tools
- Notes from the field – with practical dos and don'ts
- A wealth of 25 case studies of communities that have learned to thrive, including towns and villages, inner-city neighborhoods, indigenous groups, nonprofits, women's empowerment groups, and a school, business, and faith community
This is essential reading for community leaders, activists, planners, policy makers, and students looking to help their communities thrive.
James S. Gruber, PhD, PE, is Director of the PhD Program in Environmental Studies at Antioch University New England and a member of IUCN Council for Environmental Economic and Social Policy. He has also worked as a town manager, a solar engineer, and a consultant. He lives in Alstead, New Hampshire.
A Short Introduction to the Life of the Commons
Building Sustainable Communities
Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature (Revised Edition)