We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
Available in Print and Digital (eBook) formats.
Choose the format you need.
Microbe Science for Gardeners
Secrets to Better Plant Health
Microscopic organisms are as important to plant growth as water and light. Microbe Science for Gardeners highlights the essential role of microbes in plant biosystems and soil health, provides practical how-to gardening advice for enhancing plant microbiomes, and debunks common gardening myths.
This accessible guide goes beyond soil biology to examine the crucial role of microorganisms in cultivating a productive garden. Coverage includes:
- The vital interrelationships in microbe populations and between microbes and plants
- Understanding microbes such as bacteria, yeast, mycorrhizal fungi, and protozoa, both in the rhizosphere and above ground
- Scientific breakthroughs about microbes that live in the leaves and roots of plants, forming symbiotic relationships
- How practices such as tilling, crop rotation, and mulching affect the microbe community
- How the savvy gardener can influence microbial colonies to encourage beneficial organisms while discouraging those that cause disease or other undesirable effects
- An objective, common-sense analysis of recently popularized practices such as controlling fungal-to-bacterial ratios and applying biostimulants, compost tea, or plant probiotics
- Prevention and cures for dozens of bacterial, viral, and fungal plant diseases.
Whether you're a home gardener, market gardener, or micro-farmer, Microbe Science for Gardeners will help you leverage the incredible power of the mighty microbe to grow healthy, strong, thriving plants.
Robert Pavlis is a chemist, Master Gardener, speaker, blogger, and owner and developer of Aspen Grove Gardens, a 6-acre botanical garden featuring 3,000 varieties of plants. His many published works include Compost Science for Gardeners, Plant Science for Gardeners, Soil Science for Gardeners, and Building Natural Ponds. He lives in Guelph, ON.
The Fun and Fundamentals of Making Cheese at Home
How to Design and Build a Net-Zero Energy Greenhouse
An Easy Way to Grow Your Own
Principles and Practice of Natural Beekeeping
Essentials for Growing Better Plants