We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
This eBook is available in PDF and EPUB formats.
Choose the preferred format for your device.
How To Re-Imagine The World (PDF)
A Pocket Guide For Practical Visionaries
Who says that all possible social and political systems have already been invented? Or that work-or marriage, or environmentalism, or anything else-must be just what they are now?
This book is a conceptual toolbox for imagining and initiating radical social change. Chapters offer specific, focused, and shareable techniques:
- Seeking a Whole Vision: creating a pull and not just a push toward change.
- Generative thinking: Looking for "Seeds" and "Sparks", Stretching and Twisting Ideas, and Going Two Steps Too Far.
- Looking for Unexpected Openings: "Weeds" and "Wild Cards", Inside Tracks, Leverage Points, and Hidden Possibilities.
- Working at the Roots: Reconstructing the built world, cultural practices, even worldviews.
- Building Momentum: Playing to our Strengths; Reclaiming the Language; "Allying Everywhere"; Doing it Now, Going for Broke...
Leap-frogging new kinds of cars and better mass transit in turn, why not a world in which "transportation" itself is unneeded?
What about remaking New Orleans as a floating city, or putting only extreme surfers in the path of hurricanes?
And why not dream of the stars? The question is not whether radical change is coming. It is already well underway. The only question is who will make it. Why not us?
Anthony Weston is Professor of Philosophy and Environmental Studies at Elon University in North Carolina, where he teaches Ethics, Environmental Studies, and "Millennial Imagination". He is author of twelve other books, including How to Re-Imagine the World and Back to Earth, as well as many articles on ethics, critical thinking, education, and contemporary culture. At Elon, Weston has been named both Teacher of the Year and Scholar of the Year.
Common Sense Ideas for Increasing Diversity in Your Organization
A Handbook for Conversation, Community and the Common Good
Communities that Sustain
Igniting Passion and Purpose as an Elder
The Equity Leader’s Guide to Undoing Institutional Racism