We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
This eBook is available in PDF and EPUB formats.
Choose the preferred format for your device.
Growing Figs in Cold Climates (EPUB)
A Complete Guide
Growing Figs in Cold Climates is a complete, full-color, illustrated guide to organic methods for growing delicious figs in cold climates, well outside the traditional hot, arid home of this ancient fruiting tree. Coverage includes:
- Five methods for growing figs in cold climates including overwintering
- Cultivar selection for cool and cold climates
- Pruning techniques for a variety of methods of growing figs in cold climates
- Pest problems and solutions
- Harvesting, including ways to speed ripening, identify ripe fruit, and manage an overabundance
- Small-scale commercial fig production in cold climates.
Fresh figs are juicy, full-bodied, and filled with a honey-sweet flavor, and because truly ripe figs are highly perishable, they are only available to those who grow their own.
By choosing the right cultivars and techniques, figs can be grown across cool and cold growing zones of North America, Europe, and beyond, putting them within reach of almost every gardener. Easy and delicious — if you can grow a houseplant, you can grow a fig.
Lee Reich, has a PhD in Horticulture from the University of Maryland and an MS in Soil Science and a BA in Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin. A syndicated gardening columnist, Lee is the author of The Ever Curious Gardener and numerous other books, and he blogs from his "farmden" in New Paltz, NY.
How to Drink Beer and Save the World
Scraps to Soil in Weeks
America's Original Grain from Seed to Plate
Cool-Season Crops for the Year-Round Gardener-Fifth Edition