We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
This eBook is available in PDF and EPUB formats.
Choose the preferred format for your device.
Coppice Agroforestry (EPUB)
Tending Trees for Product, Profit, and Woodland Ecology
Coppice Agroforestry is a richly illustrated, comprehensive guide to resprout silviculture – managing trees and shrubs by coppicing, pollarding, shredding, and pleaching – for a continuous supply of small diameter polewood for products from firewood to fine furniture.
Contextualizing resprout silviculture historically, ecologically, and economically, Coppice Agroforestry explores the potential of this ancient practice for modern times. Coverage includes:
- The cultural history of coppicing in Europe and North America
- Tree and shrub anatomy, biology, and woodland ecology
- A suite of woodland management systems
- Dozens of handcrafted wood products on a continuum of value, offering a wide range of business opportunities
- Case studies of diverse coppice-based enterprises
- Assessing existing forests for coppice potential
- Designing new resprout silviculture systems
- Tables highlighting diverse species for various uses
- A vision of a modern resprout silviculture renaissance.
A decade in the making, encyclopedic in scope, and written by the hand of a woodsman, Coppice Agroforestry is a deep dive into this ancient practice, blending it with modern science, systems thinking, and tools to land it firmly into the 21st century.
Whether you have a few trees or an entire forest, Coppice Agroforestry is the must-have practical guide for homesteaders, farmers, foresters, land managers, and educators who ally themselves with the remarkable resilience of woody plants.
Mark Krawczyk owns and operates Keyline Vermont LLC, teaching, designing, and consulting on permaculture design, agroforestry, natural building, traditional woodworking, and small-scale forestry for farmers, homeowners, and homesteaders. He and his wife manage Valley Clayplain Forest Farm in New Haven, Vermont.